M-S Cash Drawer
Become a Reseller Contact (800) 544-1749
(800) 544-1749

Tax Policy

M-S Cash Drawer charges tax for all will-call orders or orders shipped to the state of AZ, CA, CT, FL, IL, LA, MA, MDand TN unless a customer has a tax exemption/resale certificate for the respective states. This applies to both shipments from an M-S warehouse as well as drop shipments from vendors such as Avery Brecknell / Salter, Elo, Epson, or Pioneer POS to name a few. Please contact your Sales or Customer Service Representative for a comprehensive list of such states and vendors.

Certain states require a “state-specific” resale certificate. In this instance, state-specific means the state will not accept any other state’s resale certificate.   These seven (7) states are: California (Resale Certificate), Connecticut (Sales & Use Tax Permit expires every 2 years), Florida (Resale Certificate expires yearly), Illinois (IL Business Authorization for Sales & Use Tax permit expires every 5 years), Louisiana (LA Resale Certificate form R-1064 expires every 3 years), Maryland (Resale Certificate / License) andMassachusetts (Form ST-4). If you anticipate shipping into any of these seven states, please provide M-S with the relevant “state-specific” resale certificate and Sales Tax Permit so that the sales will be nontaxable. If you are unable to provide a valid, state-specific resale certificate M-S will be required to collect sales tax on applicable shipments into the above states.

  • For shipments to CA, we can also accept your customers (the ship to) CA permit number on the Uniform Sales Tax Certificate made out to your company (their vendor).

Starting October 1, 2022, Louisiana sales tax will be charged at the actual sales tax rates for Remote Sellers, instead of the Direct Marketers simplified seller’s use tax rate.

Starting January 10, 2022, Tennessee accepts other state’s certificates if your Bill-To is other than Tennessee. Please submit your completed Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate including the sales tax ID number issued by another state or an out-of-state resale certificate to us, otherwise, Tennessee sales tax will be charged, when applicable. 

  • If your home state does not impose sales tax, you may provide us with a completed Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate with a tax ID number for another tax type. 

Starting January 1, 2020, we began collecting sales tax on sales for deliveries into Arizona. Arizona accepts other state’s certificates if your Bill-To is other than Arizona. Please submit your completed Form 5000A (Resale Certificate expires yearly) to us, otherwise, Arizona sales tax will be charged, when applicable.

Beginning October 1, 2020, we will start collecting sales tax on sales for deliveries into Massachusetts, a state-specific state.  Please submit your completed MA Form ST-4 to us, otherwise, Massachusetts sales tax will be charged, when applicable.

  • Separately from the above nine (9) states, if you anticipate shipping into any of the following 20 states M-S needs to have on file (only) your valid home-state certificate. (All 20 of these states accept other state’s certificates, so your home-state certificate is fine.) This applies to the following 20 states:
    • Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.
  • Of the 20 states, there are certain states which have an expiration date on their certificates such as: Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wisconsin. If you are supplying a resale certificate from any of these 8 states please be sure to provide your Sales Tax Permit showing the expiration date.

We understand these changes may affect your business, so please be sure and reach out to your company’s tax advisors with any questions or concerns.

You can obtain more information about these tax-law changes and how to register to obtain resale certificates in the state-specific states at the following websites:


Please forward your completed M-S Uniform Sales Tax Certificate and provide any permits or licenses that display the expiration date for a specific state to cmeekins@mscashdrawer.com. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Catherine Meekins at (800) 544-1749, ext. 7249.

Thank you for your continued business!